Wednesday, November 13, 2013

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

Parashat Vayishlach - 13 Kislev 5774 / 15-16 November 2013
Torah: Genesis 32:4 – 36:43
Haftarah: Obadiah 1:1-21


For a complete Calendar of Events, as well as lots of other information on our community, check out our web site at: http://bethmeier.org/

Please feel free to pass this on to a friend, and please cite the source.
-----------------------------------------------------------

How Much Is Enough?

"Esau said, ‘I have a lot; my brother, let what is yours be yours.’ And Jacob said, ‘… Please take my present that I have brought to you, for God has favored me, and I have everything.’ And he urged him, and he took." Genesis 33:9-11

In his commentary "Kli Yakar", R. Shlomo Ephraim Lunshitz (d. 1619) wonders about this exchange between the brothers. Esau has "a lot" – he is wealthy and powerful. Jacob offers him a gift, saying that he has "everything". Esau accepts, and does not reciprocate. Kli Yakar says that one who says he has "everything" means "what I have is enough for me. I am satisfied with my lot." But one who merely says, "I have a lot" always wants more.

I am certain that virtually everyone reading this e-mail has "a lot". Perhaps we are not wealthy and powerful in the way that Esau was, but we have food, clothing, shelter, modern conveniences, toys of various sorts, etc. How many of us are prepared, like Jacob, to say we have "everything"? Why aren’t we satisfied? Why do we want more? I believe it is because we are unable, or more likely, unwilling, to say, "God has favored me." Without acknowledging that higher source, without opening up our spiritual side to be satisfied with that which God has given us, we will always have "a lot", but never "enough" – let alone “everything”.


Shabbat Shalom!

Rabbi Richard A. Flom
Congregation Beth Meier
Studio City
, CA

http://www.bethmeier.org

Visit me on Facebook

"For the sake of Zion I will not be silent; for the sake of Jerusalem I will not be still."  Isaiah 62:1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This d'var torah is offered in memory of my uncle, Daniel Flom, whose yahrzeit falls on Sunday.  Y'hi zikhro liv'rakhah - May his memory be a blessing.

This d'var torah is offered for a refuah shleimah for Boaz ben Dina, Dov Nechemya Hakohen ben Rachel Chaya Sarah, Miriam Minya bat Alisa Batya, Eve Beatty, Howard Ehrlich, Joshua Erenmark, Jerry Forman, Pamela Huddleston, Rose Jordan, Lizzie Legnine, Gloria Loera, Frank Marcovitz, Barney Meskin, Marsha Meyers, Colleen Pierce (Chaya Shoshanah bat Sarah Emanu), Phil Raider, Gil Robbins, and Rachel Robbins.

Please let me know if there is anyone you would like to add to this list or if there is anyone who may be removed from this list.

My weekly divrei torah are also available by e-mail from the Cyber Torah list.
Cyber Torah list management (no salesman will call!):
To subscribe to Cyber Torah, send an e-mail with the subject heading “Subscribe Cyber Torah” to: ravflom@sbcglobal.net
Send requests for dedications of Cyber Torah in honor of a simchah, in memory of a loved one or for a refuah shleimah to: ravflom@sbcglobal.net
To unsubscribe from Cyber Torah, send an e-mail with the subject heading “Unsubscribe Cyber Torah” to: ravflom@sbcglobal.net

THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!

Parashat Acharei Mot Nisan 26, 5784 / May 3-4, 2024 Torah: Leviticus 16:1 - 18:30 Haftarah: Amos 9:7-15 (Ashkenazim); Ezekiel 22:1-16 (Sepha...