Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Cheshbon Hanefesh Worksheet

Cheshbon Hanefesh Worksheet 

A Personal Inventory for the High Holy Days – 5778 edition

Traditionally, cheshbon hanefesh, literally an accounting of the soul, is undertaken during the Aseret Yamei Teshuvah – the Ten Days of Repentance between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. The entire month of Elul is even better, but in truth, any time is a good time.
With openness and honesty, giving the benefit of the doubt to yourself without being extravagant, being self-critical without beating yourself up, evaluate the following on an appropriate scale of your choosing. Many questions require much more than a mere score. Please feel free to add any topics you wish to evaluate. Consider both quality and quantity. Don’t forget to answer the most important questions of all: In what areas do I need to improve? What are my goals in those areas? What will I do to reach them? Of course, there is no right answer to any of this ….. is there?

The People in My Life
How are my relationships with parents, children, spouses/life partners, other family, friends, neighbors, strangers, employers, employees, customers, teachers, et al.?
Who did I injure? Who injured me? How? Why? Does blame matter?
What did I do to make amends? Was it enough?
What did/can/will I do to assure it doesn’t happen again?
Did I apologize?
Did I ask for forgiveness? Was I forgiven? How do I feel about that?
Did I forgive those who asked for forgiveness? How do I feel about them?
Is our relationship the same – better – worse? Reconciliation?
What did I do to heal the people in my life?
Did I help others reconcile with each other? Am I a rodef shalom?
Are there patterns, habits, addictions in my life I need to change? Are there good patterns and habits in my life that I should exercise even more?
Do I really hear and understand other people – their needs, hopes and dreams?
Do I accept others for who they are, even if they aren’t what I want them to be?
Lashon Hara – Slander, gossip, offensive speech
            Did I speak it?
            Did I listen to it?
            Did I prevent others from speaking it?

God in My Life
Is God in my life?
Do I ever contemplate the Divine?
Do I ever contemplate holiness? Can I be holy? Do I see the holiness in other people?
Do I engage in regular prayer and/or meditation?
            Tefillin
            Daily prayer service/private worship
            Bedtime Sh’ma (teach your children well)
            Blessings for Mitzvot
            Blessings for food/drink
Can I really imitate God?
Did I do teshuvah?
Did I forgive God for what happened to me?

Jewish Ritual/Jewish Observance
Kashruth
            Biblical
            Halakhic
            Home
            Out
How are my Shabbat and Holy Days (general)?
            Know the stories/reasons
Candles
            Kiddush
            Family Blessings
            Zemirot – table songs
            Guests
            Refraining from Work
            Attending Services
            Torah Study
            Reflection
            Havdalah
            Fulfilling/meaningful/involved/indifferent
How are my holy days? Specific
            Rosh Hashanah
                        Tashlikh
                        Shofar
            Yom Kippur
                        Fasting
                        Contemplation
                        Teshuvah
            Sukkot
                        Built/ate/studied/slept in a Sukkah
                        Ushpizin – honored visitors
Lulav and Etrog
            Shemini Atzeret
            Simchat Torah
            Chanukah
            Tu BiShevat
            Purim
                        Megillah Reading
                        Shlach Manot
                        Tzedakah
            Pesach
                        Bedikat Chametz
                        Seder
                        No chametz during holiday
            Yom Hashoah
            Yom Ha’atzma’ut
            Shavuot
            Tisha B’Av
Mitzvot – Mitzvah means commandment – or is it a good deed?
            Have I taken on more mitzvot?
            Have I improved my observance of mitzvot I was already doing?
            How?
            Why?
Judaism - Do I preach it, teach it, live it?

Study
Do I engage in regular Torah study?
Do I read Jewish books and/or periodicals?
What do I know about Judaism generally?
            History
            Holy Days
            Texts – Tanakh, Talmud, Midrash, etc.
            Culture
            Zionism
            Personalities
            Beliefs/tenets/philosophy
            Practices
            Halakhah
            Hebrew language
Israel
Travel – ever; recently; soon
Support (in the way one sees fit)
            Israel Bonds
            JNF
            Israeli products
            Rallies
            Letter writing
            AIPAC
            J Street
            Peace Now
            New Israel Fund
            What do I think about the settlements?
            What do I think about peace with the Palestinians?
            What do I think about the rabbanut?
 Zionism

Tzedakah/Gemilut Chasadim/Volunteerism
Feed the hungry
Clothe the naked
Hear the cries of others
Charitable donations
            How much tzedakah? (according to Torah and halakhah, tithing [10%] expected)
Donations of Time/Volunteer work
            Congregation
            Other organizations
Donations of Self/gemilut chasadim
            Bikur cholim
            Comforting mourners

Jewish Community

How active in congregation?
            Affiliates
            Religious school/teaching
How active in other Jewish groups?
Reaching out to other Jews
Captive Jews

My Body, My Self
Exercise
Diet
Self-abuse (drugs, alcohol, tobacco)
Self-control
Care of the body
Care of the soul
Care of the mind
What did I do to heal myself?
Take reasonable advantage of the pleasing things in this world – art, music, good food and drink, travel

The Physical World Around Me
The environment – b’al tashchit – do not destroy; cleanup; conservation; global warming
Kindness to animals
Stop and smell the roses/meditate on the wonder of Creation?
Tikkun olam?

A Few Final Thoughts for Your Consideration

Do I deserve another year because I have been good?
Do I deserve another year because I will be better? I promise!
Am I prepared to do teshuvah, tefillah and tzedakah?



© Rabbi Richard Flom - 2017

MATZAH – THE ORIGINAL SOUL FOOD

Parashat Metzora (Shabbat HaGadol) Nisan 12, 5784 / April 19-20, 2024 Torah: Leviticus 14:1 - 15:33 Haftarah (Shabbat HaGadol): Malakhi 3:4-...