Monday, May 11, 2020

SOME THINGS I THINK I THINK


SOME THINGS I THINK I THINK

Yesterday I went to the synagogue and actually entered the building for the first time since Monday, March 16. Wearing a mask, like a burglar.

It was normal, joyful, eerie, and sad. I sat at my desk for a few minutes. I took a bag of nuts from the little stash in my desk drawer. I got the books I needed from my personal library - perfectly normal. I like normalcy.

And it was a joy to be back in my space, and to go over the shelves, searching a bit but finding every book I wanted, exactly where it was supposed to be. My books make me happy. There they were - all my dependable hard- and soft- and ring- and staple-bound friends.

And that was eerie - everything was exactly where I had left it on March 16. Even the dust bunnies. Not only in my office, but nothing had been moved in the social hall or in the sanctuary, except for Reb Jason's things, since he's there weekly to chant Torah via Zoom. And apparently nothing had been moved in the kitchens since April 8, when we did our Pesach Seder takeout meals. That was the last time I'd even been at the building, though I hadn't gone inside then. It seems that time has stopped in our buildings. Eerie.

And it made me very sad. Our pre-school with its smiling teachers and laughing little ones will not re-open until July 1 at the earliest. The charter school that has been renting space from us is on-line for the remainder of the school year - when if ever will I see all those earnest students and feel the buzz of their presence? Our dedicated office and support staff? I haven't seen them in person since March 13 or 14. No spur of the moment program planning, no drinking coffee while going over the menu for this week's Shabbat lunch or discussing the music on the radio or trying to figure out why the computers are acting strangely again. There’s been no Sunday religious school in our little “one room schoolhouse”. Nor are there congregants or curious local students dropping in for a chat, serious or otherwise. And of course, there have been no communal gatherings, no joining together in song and prayer and Torah study, no hugs of greeting or condolence, no handshakes and "mazel tov" and “shalom aleikhem”, no parading with the Sifrei Torah or walking people through the choreography of the service. Our beit tefillah, our house of prayer, hears no prayers. Our beit k’nesset, our house of gathering, sees no gatherings. Our beit midrash, our house of study, hosts no classes.

There’s been plenty of teleconferencing and emailing and Zooming. They are otherworldly and insubstantial – ephemeral electrons and bytes. So we are still “doing” many of our programs. But there has been no physicality, and if nothing else, Jewish life is of this world, the world of things and people you can touch and you can feel with all your senses.

This is not how it's supposed to be. And that is why I am sad. It is what it is.

But I do not despair, because I know we will get through this. Things will not be the same, even though almost everything above will return. Some things might well be better than they were before. But they will not be the same. And … that’s okay and to be expected, actually.

More than 60 years ago, Rabbi Mordecai Waxman, z’l wrote a book about Conservative Judaism – “Tradition and Change”. We’ll be getting much more of the latter, some things all-new, some merely different, as we try to maintain as much as we can of the former, with this understanding – Judaism and the Jewish people have always been about tradition and change. This is Judaism – normal and joyful and eerie and sad. Same as it ever was.

Tuesday is Lag B’omer – a date commemorating a radical and miraculous change of circumstances in the midst of an epidemic, according to tradition. Also, according to tradition, Lag B’omer is a day to get married - or to get a haircut. This is Judaism. Same as it ever was. And that is profound.

SPEAKING AND SAYING

Parashat Emor Iyar 10, 5784 / May 17-18, 2024 Torah: Leviticus 21:1 - 24:23 Haftarah: Ezekiel 44:15-31 -------------------------------------...