Tuesday, April 27, 2021

"Shalom" is "goodbye"; "Shalom" is "hello"

Chaverim yekarim / Dear friends and fellow congregants:

There is an old joke that ends with the punchline, “Jews say ‘goodbye’ but never leave.”
 
By now, many of you know that I am retiring from the pulpit here at Temple B’nai Hayim / Congregation Beth Meier effective July 1, 2021. This may seem sudden, but in fact, it has been in the works for several years. In 2018, I advised our Board of Directors that I wished to retire from full-time pulpit activities on June 30, 2020. In 2019, the Board requested, and I agreed that I would stay an additional year to allow for an orderly transition, and in particular to assure that the coming together of our two congregations had been finalized. This request turned out to be prescient on the Board’s part, because the COVID-19 pandemic would have made the difficult nearly impossible.
 
As the above joke implies, although I am saying “goodbye” to the pulpit, Lynn and I are not leaving this wonderful community. I believe Leon Uris once wrote, “’Shalom’ is a beautiful way to say ‘goodbye’. It’s also a beautiful way to say ‘hello’.” We will be “Jews in the pews” and active members of the synagogue. In addition, the Board and Reb Jason have encouraged me to take on Rabbi Emeritus status, so I will be filling in on the pulpit occasionally, as the need arises, and I will continue to teach on a regular basis.
 
I cherish every minute that I have been serving with you for the betterment of our community and our people, even the difficult times. I'm proud of what we have accomplished together, though there could have been more. There’s always more to be done! Rabbi Tarfon taught: “You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it.” Pirkei Avot 2:21
 
I look forward to continuing and expanding our relationships in the coming years.
 
Shalom U’vrakhah – Peace and Blessings,
 
 
Rabbi Richard Flom

WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO, GOT TO DO WITH IT?

Parashat Kedoshim Iyar 3, 5784 / May 10-11, 2024 Torah: Leviticus 19:1 - 20:27 Haftarah: Askenazim - Ezekiel 22:1-19; Sephardim - Ezekiel 20...